Saturday, April 21, 2007

What was I thinking?

As if my two kids aren't enough, I decided to watch my friends two children for the next 7 days. While they enjoy margarita's on the beach in Mexico I am home in Minnesota chasing 4 kids. It started off quiet. 7am I was the only one up, made some coffee and muffins for the kids when they decided to get up and started dishes. About 7:30 up came Spooky and he asked what was for breakfast. Good thing I thought ahead. I gave him a chocolate chip muffin and proceeded to make my coffee. After about 10 minutes up comes Princess and then Mr. 501, and then Just a Goalie comes up and asked, "what's burning?" I answered, "Your breakfast" and gave them all some muffins. Just about then up comes Dad and I serve him coffee, still having not had a sip of the cup I made for me. I fed them all muffins and they seemed content. Seemed being the key word here. Dad and I completed the dishes and I started sending kids to the shower. I knew it was hard to get 4 of us ready for a "normal" day but 4 kids and a dog that is waiting for anything to fall to the floor and Dad asking when I can cut his hair was quite the experience. I got Spooky and Princess all cleaned and then started on the haircuts. Dad first. I told Just a Goalie he was next and he was now hiding because he wants hair like Keith Urban. I then pinned him down and started cutting. Not to shabby for a mom that has never been taught the techniques of hair cutting. About 11 I was done and the last 2 kids were showered. I still never drank that coffee. Next thing I know the kitchen is clean and I hear 4 kids eating me out of house and home. I quickly sent them all out and started on lunch. I was still hoping for some coffee. Never happened so I just gave up.

About 2pm I loaded all of us in the car (minivan, thank God for that vehicle) and off to the store for baseball cleats we go. That was an adventure. Grocery shopping was even more fun. What was I thinking when I asked the 4 of them to agree on 2 cereals. I obviously wasn't thinking.

We got home about 4:30 and I told them for 20 minutes on the way home, "No one plays outside because it is muddy and we all need to be at Princess' dance performance at 6:15. I thought they heard me. Another mistake on my part. Grandma arrived after I fed them all and cut Mr. 501's hair (not my kid and I didn't want to make a mistake and Grandma cuts hair for a living.) We had 5 minutes to be in the car and on the road. House was quiet. I assumed (another one of my daily mistakes today) that they were all in the van. NOPE.... In walks Just a Goalie FULL of mud. Head to toe. He was riding his bike in the driveway because Princess said he could and fell. I lost it. We don't have time for this. We are gonna be late. Dad, Grandma and myself all took turns asking why this happened and we got NOWHERE. We jumped in the van, I started to back up and rolled right over the top of his bike he left behind my van. It is no longer a bike but a twisted mess of metal. I was furious. Needless to say we were late by 15 minutes but good thing the show didn't start until 7. We still had plenty of time. Princess went off to perform and the 3 boys and Dad and myself all sat in the gym. Now, I already said Minnesota is where we live so you have to understand we have Ticks all over our yard. We live in the woods. In the middle of a dance Spooky jumped up and I asked him what was wrong. He told me he had a tick on him so he threw it in the crowd. Oh great now someone gets to leave with a suprise pet. I told him to stay quiet and laughed so hard inside I thought I was going to pee. Princess did great... I was so proud and realized this week might just be a great week after all.

No comments: